COVID-19 RESPONSE & UPDATES:
Inner City Law Center continues to serve our clients through these difficult and challenging times. In order to keep our clients and staff safe and help slow the spread of this virus:
Our Skid Row and Downtown LA offices are closed to the public until further notice. While most ICLC attorneys, paralegals, and staff members will be working remotely, we remain unwavering in our commitment to fighting for housing and justice.
If you are an existing client, please contact your ICLC attorney or paralegal directly or dial our main line at (213) 891-2880, select the extension of the attorney or paralegal that is helping you with your case, and leave a voice message. If you need to drop off or sign documents, or meet in person, please contact your ICLC attorney or paralegal before visiting the office.
If you are in need of legal assistance, please dial our main line at (213) 891-2880 and dial 0 to leave a voice message in our general voicemail box. We will make every effort to return your call within 24-48 hours.
PowerPoint Slides – Webinar: Paycheck Protection Loan Program
INDIVIDUAL STIMULUS PAYMENT (ECONOMIC IMPACT) RESOURCES
Stimulus Payments – FAQs – Important summary and frequently asked questions (FAQs) regarding how to access COVID-19 economic impact payments (“stimulus payments”) issued by the Federal government, including guidance for non-filers. Read here. (Español)
10-Step Guide to Accessing the Federal Stimulus Check – Step-by-step for non-filers, or individuals who don’t usually file a tax return, on accessing their stimulus check through the IRS website. Read here. (Español)
These resources are not a substitute for consultation with a tax professional, lawyer or legal aid attorney. If you are in need of assistance or need to speak with an attorney, please call (213) 891-2880 and dial 0 to leave a voice message. We will make every effort to return your call within 24-48 hours.
Unable to Pay Rent Because of the COVID-19 Pandemic? – A list of next steps and best practices to follow for renters and tenants having trouble paying rent due to circumstances related to the COVID-19 outbreak, including a list of trusted legal and attorney resources available for little or no cost. Read here.
Sample Letter – A sample letter for renters and tenants to use in order to notify their landlord if they are unable to pay rent due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The letter must be dated and signed. Always save a copy of the letter and any responses from your landlord. See sample letter here. (PDF) (Español – PDF)
Current Status of Efforts to Limit Evictions During Covid-19 Pandemic (Updated May 15, 2020) – The laws concerning eviction during the pandemic are changing every day and vary from city to city. Inner City Law Center is providing up to date information on the most recent actions taken to limit evictions in response to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on tenants. Most eviction actions in Los Angeles will be placed on hold or stayed until at least the end of the summer. This does not mean that tenants should wait to seek help with eviction matters. It’s crucial to GET HELP NOW from a trusted legal aid attorney. Read here.
*All guidance and resources provided here are not a substitute for legal advice and should be used in conjunction with a trusted lawyer or legal aid attorney.
If you are in need of legal assistance or need to speak with an attorney, please email email@example.com or call (213) 891-2880 and dial 0 to leave a voice message. We will make every effort to return your call within 24-48 hours.
PUBLIC BENEFITS UPDATES
Click here to read ICLC Guidance on Public Benefits impacted by COVID-19, including updates on the following programs:
DPSS Benefits in Los Angeles County
• GR (General Relief),
• IHSS (In-Home Supportive Services),
• CAPI (Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants), and
• Refugee Cash Assistance.
Social Security Administration (SSA) Benefits Programs
• SSI (Supplemental Security Income)
• SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance), and
• SSA Retirement.
* COMMUNITY UPDATE *
Please be aware of scammers pretending to represent the Social Security Administration over the phone and by mail. DO NOT provide your Social Security number or financial information to anyone who calls you. If you are contacted by or receive anything from SSA, please let us know immediately.
• Unemployment Insurance Benefits (UIB)
• State Disability Insurance (SSI), and
• IRS Economic Stimulus Payments.
In addition to continuing to serve our clients, ICLC is increasing our policy advocacy on behalf of the enormous number of people whose health, housing, and economic well-being are seriously at risk:
• ICLC’s policy team, along with the “No Place To Go” Central Los Angeles Providers Collaborative, issued a press advisory on March 13, 2020, underscoring the immediate need for more robust sanitation facilities in Skid Row and homeless encampments throughout the County.
• ICLC joined forces with Shower of Hope to promote specific policy changes to protect Angelenos on the streets or on the verge of experiencing homelessness during the COVID-19 pandemic and economic crisis.
• ICLC has signed on in support of the public health recommendations of the Services Not Sweeps coalition to protect homeless communities during the COVID-19 crisis.
• In partnership with Western Center on Law and Poverty and Housing Now!, ICLC is calling for a clear and unambiguous moratorium on evictions in California. We need a statewide moratorium on eviction filings, except for those required for public safety. Similarly, there should be a statewide moratorium on foreclosures. During this crisis, unpaid rent and mortgage payments should be treated as consumer debt and be pursued as such rather than as a basis for eviction or foreclosure. No one deserves to be evicted from their home during this pandemic.
ICLC will continue to be available and responsive to our clients and will continue to advocate on your behalf as long as the courts and government agencies remain open. We will continue monitoring the situation involving COVID-19 and may make additional adjustments to our operations. Any updates will be posted here.